Sunday 19 June 2016

A band I like: Apkoha

Hi guys,
Today I would like to speak about a band I like. Is really difficult to choose one, because I like many bands of diverse styles and type of music, so in this case, I’m going to choose: Arkona
Arkona (Apkoha) is a Russian band of folk-pagan metal. They are five members: Masha, in voice; Sergei in the guitar; Ruslan in bass; Vladimir ‘’volk’’ in wind and ethnic instrument; and Andrey in drums. The leader is a woman: Masha Scream (Maria Arkhipova), who sing in the growl style. She founded the band in 2002, and she is the singer and the composer of the lyrics related to the Russian folklore, their history and some characters of the mythology. I like this band because the theme of the lyrics (I must admit that I have to search the translation because I only know some words of this language), they use some traditional Russian instruments, and especially I like the variation in rhythm, times and combination of sounds in the music (I love the bagpipes sound), this can be eared in the song ‘’Yarilo’’ from the album: Goi, Rode Goi!, maybe this could be called my ‘favorite’ song, but I think the majority of the songs are really good.
This band came twice to Chile, in 2013 and 2015, and I went to see them in both concerts. The last year I have the opportunity to get a VIP ticket and I met them, they are very nice people, thankful to the fans and very cheerful. In the meet & great, I gave a gift to Masha: one ‘Kultrun’, an ethnic instrument from mapuche culture, very similar to a russian instrument that she plays in the show, and in the middle of the concert (in the song: Славься, Русь!), she played the kultrun!! That was amazing, I felt realized! Jajaja the people said: wow, how she obtain that? Who get it to her? And I said in my mind: I was :3 I felt so happy.
So, that’s my experience with Arkona (people joke with ‘Arjona’).  I’ve enjoyed their shows, and I’m trying to learn the language to communicate better.
Have a nice weekend, and tell: happy father’s day

Pd: in the moment I wrote this post, I hadn't a good connection to internet, so now I'm going to show a video of the song  Славься, Русь!, or ''Slavsia, Rus'', where you can see Masha playing the russian instrument in her official video clip.

  
The other video is the song: Yarilo

9 comments:

  1. Good band! I do not know them and the style is great, but i have a doubt - now, when I listened them - because they are in the middle among black metal and folk metal, anywhere they do good music! pd: woah must be incredible live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't say they are black metal, because the lyrics, the instrument and voices (they also use 'clean voice' and choires) are not according to that type of subgenre. They are folk for the use of ethnic instruments and themes related to their folklore, and pagan because they not speak about 'catholicism'. And yes, both concerts were incredible c:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I search the band and the instrument are very cool!!! I like :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I search the band and the instrument are very cool!!! I like :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the story of the kultrun is quite meaningful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the story of the kultrun is quite meaningful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that was a nice experience, I´m going to search them, they catch my attention

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not know Apkoha :o but now the know thanks to you :3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember when you said me of the meet and great and your gift to Masha. you are very luck jajaja. Is very interesting the style of the band.
    I hope you're fine :)

    ReplyDelete